My K-2nd class is finishing up Butterfly Week. A parent ordered painted lady caterpillars for us and they have just emerged from their chrysalises!
This is what we did: (From the Butterfly Thematic Unit by Mary Ellen Sterling from Teacher Created Materials
- Read The Life of a Monarch Butterfly and Where Butterflies Grow.
- Did a journal entry/drawing about the day the first butterflies emerged.
- Learned about the parts of a caterpillar and butterfly.
- Reviewed life cycle.
- Designed flowers for bulletin board and decorated them with colored chalk.
- Made butterfly life cycle books: a sentence and drawing about each stage per page. on butterfly-shaped paper.
- And today at the end of the day we will release our butterflies into the 'wild.'
It was simple but very fun, left lots of room for questions and exploration!