Friday, March 6, 2009

The Quieter Life

The other morning I woke, exhausted from the turbulent, anxious thoughts of the night, wrapped myself in a blanket, and settled into my chair with my Bible and a cup of pine-orange-banana juice. I was too weary to even retrieve my binder with today's readings, so I just opened up my Bible and read some verses adjacent to yesterday's.

Hebrews 3:7-8a "So, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts."

4:1, 11-13 "Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it...Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."

This also reminded me of reading about rest from C.S. Lewis.

"The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back, in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings; coming in out of the wind."http://www.civitate.org/2009/01/items-of-interest/

That was exactly how it felt as I read Hebrews and prayed that morning. The quieter life came flowing in.

No comments: